Why online dating and recruitment aren’t too dissimilar
The popularity of online dating has increased significantly over the last few years, with 1 in 5 relationships now starting online. Whilst discussing the topic of dating sites one day in the office, I couldn’t help but note the similarities between finding a prospective partner online and the recruitment process when finding a suitable job.
- Sometimes the job you think would be perfect for you, you never get a response from
- You read the advert and it ticks all the boxes, however at interview the role is completely different from what was advertised
- You attend an interview and think it went really well, only to never receive feedback other than a generic response, leaving you perplexed
- The job you apply to on a whim that you are not as bothered by, turns out to actively pursue your application and hunt you down for an interview
- The companies you approach and reach out to directly don’t respond to your application
- Unsolicited enquiries you get via LinkedIn are for industries/opportunities you wouldn’t ever consider entertaining
The list really could go on, however in closing, the shared challenges of finding a job, much like a potential partner, remain similar.
It is important to:
- Never give up hope, the right one is out there
- You can only be who you are, and give your best – you won’t be right for everyone, nor they for you
- What someone thinks of you shouldn't concern you – we all make assumptions and everyone has their own perception – you know who you are, so don’t take it personally if things don’t always go your way. The right outcome will always reign supreme and eventuate at the right time.
To find out more about our latest HR opportunities, click here